- Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Utah (1981)
- B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering (1976) and M.Tech. in Computer Science (1978), both from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- 1981-2001: University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Since 1998: IIT Bombay
- Timeliness and consistency issues in computer systems, in particular, databases, real-time systems, and distributed applications.
- Dynamic Data in sensor networks, embedded systems, mobile environments and the web.
- Information and Communication Technologies for creating tools aimed at socio-economic development.