Centre for Urban Science & Engineering
2nd Floor,Civil Engineering building,
Email: ronita.bardhan at iitb.ac.in
Residence: (91) 22 2576 5332
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Urban Engineering;Department of Urban Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Japan
- PG Certificate in Environmental Leadership, Asian Program for Incubationof Environmental Leadership, The University of Tokyo, Japan
- Master in City Planning (MCP); Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
- Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch); Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur, India
- Visiting Assistant Professor - Stanford University; October 2016 – till date
- Assistant Professor, CUSE, IIT Bombay; 2014-till date
- Associate Faculty, Interdisciplinary Programme in Climate Studies, IIT Bombay; 2017 – till date
- Mentor – SMART City Initiative, Global Business Forum, IIT Bombay 2015
- Senior Consultant, Ernst & Young LLP, India; 2013-2014
- Senior Architect-Planner; JACOBS Engineering Group Inc, India (formerly known as Consulting Engineering Services (India) Pvt. Ltd), Kolkata, India; 2007-2010
- Project Officer, Sponsored Research and Industrial Consultancy (SRIC), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India; 2007
- Sustainable Habitat Design
- Building energy efficiency
- Climate resilient Urban forms
- Pro-Environmental Behavior
- Debnath R., Bardhan R., Jain R., (2017) A data-driven and simulation approach for understanding thermal performance of slum redevelopment in Mumbai, India, IBPSA, Aug 7-9, 2017 San Fransisco, USA (under review)
2016 and previous years
- Bardhan R., Debnath R., (2016) ‘Towards daylight inclusive bye-law: Daylight as an energy saving route for affordable housing in India’, Energy for Sustainable Development. Vol-34, October.pp 1-9. doi:10.1016/j.esd.2016.06.005 .(Link)
- Debnath R., Bardhan R., Banerjee R, (2016) ‘Investigating the age of air in rural Indian kitchens for sustainable built environment design’, Journal of Building Engineering; doi:10.1016/j.jobe.2016.07.011 (Link)
- Debnath R., Bardhan R., Banerjee R, (2016) ‘Taming the killer in the kitchen : mitigating household air pollution from solid-fuel cooking through built-environment’, Clean Technologies and Environment Policies. doi: 10.1007/s10098-016-1251-7 (Link)
- Debnath R., Bardhan R., Jain R. K, (2016) A data driven-design framework for urban slum housing: Case of Mumbai, BuildSys ’16, November 16-17, 2016, Palo Alto, CA, USA ACM. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2993422.2996406 (Link)
- Basu, R., Jana, A. & Bardhan R., A Health Care Facility Allocation Model for Expanding Cities in Developing Nations: Strategizing Urban Health Policy Implementation. Appl. Spatial Analysis (2016). doi:10.1007/s12061-016-9208-0 (Link)
- Jana A., Bardhan R., Sarkar,S, Kumar V; (2016) Framework to assess and locate affordable and accessible housing for developing nations: empirical evidences from Mumbai; Habitat International. doi:10.1016/j.habitatint.2016.07.005. (Link)
- Bardhan R., Debnath R., (2016) Evaluating building material based thermal comfort of a typical low-cost modular house in India. PMME-2016 – Materials Today : Proceedings (In Press)
- Bardhan R., Debnath R., (2016) Building performance study of Indira Awas Yojana for smart village, IEEE-R10 HTC, December 22-23, Agra, India.
- Debnath R., Bardhan R., (2016), Conceptual framework for future cities: Using day lighting and natural ventilation as drivers for energy efficient residential buildings. International Conference On Sustainable Energy Technologies for Smart and Clean Cities (SETS & CC), July 27-29, 2016, Indian Institute of Technology, Tirupati (IITTP), Andhra Pradesh, India. (Poster presentation)
- Debnath R., Bardhan R., Jana A., (2016) Is my village SDG friendly? A survey based exploration for SDG preparedness in rural India. 4th International Conference on Sustainable Development (ICSD). September 21-22, 2016, NY, USA. (Accepted)
- Debnath R., Bardhan R., (2016) Fulfilling SDG-3:DALYs averted in rural kitchens through design, UN-IARC, Mumbai, India (in press).
- Mehrotra, S., Bardhan R., Ramamritham K., (2016) Built Form Determinants of Urban Land Surface Temperature: A Case of Mumbai, Sustainable Built Environment Conference: Expanding Boundaries, Systems Thinking in the Built Environment 13-17 June 2016, Zurich, Switzerland
- Bardhan R., Debnath R., Banerjee R., (2016) ‘Evaluating Differences In Airflow Patterns For Similar Rural Kitchens Using CFD’, 6 th International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation (ICCMS), June, 27- July, 1, Mumbai; pp 391-395. (Link)
- Sangoi S., Jain A., Jana A., Bardhan R., Velaga N., (2016) Behavior of Housing Prices Within the “Equi-influence” Zone of Metro Corridor in Mumbai, India: A Fuzzy Logic Approach. Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting
- Chikaraishi M., Jana A., Bardhan R., Varghese V., Fujiwara A., (2016) Revisiting Travel Time in Mumbai: Value of Time Saving or Value of Access? Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting
- Debnath R., Bardhan R., (2016) Daylight performance parameter of a naturally ventilated building as a parameter for energy management. Energy Procedia (Link)
- Ghosh, S, and Bardhan R., (2016) Understanding variables for contextual re-generation of Urban Areas, 52nd ISOCARP Congress 2016 – Cities we have vs Cities we need; September 12-16, 2016, Durban, South Africa
- Bardhan R., (2016) “Inaugural Editorial of Urban Planning: Redefining City Planning Agendas under the Contextual Realm,” Urban Planning, vol. 1, pp. 1-4. (Link)
- Bardhan R., Jana, A., and S. Sarkar, (2016)”Informality,” in Encyclopedia of Urban and Regional Studies, A. M. Orum, Ed., ed: The Wiley Blackwell, 2016.(In press)
- Chikaraishi, M.,Jana, A., Bardhan R., & Fujiwara, A. (2016); Time Use of Urban Poor and Rural Poor on Activity and Travel in Gujarat, India: Similarities and Differences, Asian Transport Studies, Volume 4 Issue 1, 19-36. (Link)
- Jana, A., Bardhan R., (2016), Planning transit system for India cities: Opportunities and challenges in Handbook of Research on Emerging Innovations in Rail Transportation Engineering. eds Rai. U. ISBN:: 978-1-5225-0084-1 (Link)
- Bardhan R., Debnath R., Bandopadhyay, S., (2016).A conceptual model for identifying the risk susceptibility of urban green spaces using geo-spatial techniques. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment. doi:10.1007/s40808-016-0202-y.(Link)
- Bardhan R., V Varghese, A Jana;(2015), Analyzing Regional Travel Patterns in India: Disaggregated Analysis of Social, Health and Pilgrimage Trips. Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies; Vol. 11, p.362-378 (Link)
- Varghese, V; Sarkar, S; Bardhan R., Velaga, NR; Jana, A; (2015) Transport network characteristics and real-estate undercurrents: The effect of spatial non stationarity on property pricing in Mumbai; 3rd Conference of Transportation Research Group of India (3rd CTRG); 17 – 20 December, 2015, Kolkata, INDIA
- Bardhan R., Sarkar, S; Jana, A; Velaga, NR, (2015) Mumbai slums since independence: Evaluating the policy outcomes; Habitat International, Vol 50, Dec-2015, pp 1–11. doi:10.1016/j.habitatint.2015.07.009 (Link)
- Bardhan R., Bandopadhyay, S, & Gupta, K. (2015). Rapid Estimation of Flood Prone Zones under Data Constraint Scenario: A Fuzzy Modelling Approach. Paper presented at the HYDRO 2015 International :20th International Conference on Hydraulics, Water Resources and River Engineering, Roorkee, India.
- Bardhan R., Bahuman, C, Pathan, I, & Ramamritham, K. (2015, 9–12 December 2015). Designing a game based persuasive technology to promote Pro-Environmental Behaviour (PEB). Paper presented at the Humanitarian Technology Conference (R10-HTC), 2015 IEEE Region 10, Cebu City, Philippines.10.1109/R10-HTC.2015.7391844 (Link)
- Bardhan R., Varghese, V; Jana, A; Analyzing Regional Travel Patterns in India: Disaggregated Analysis of Social, Health and Pilgrimage Trips; Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies – EASTS 2015 Conference :Resilient and Inclusive Transportation Systems through Smarter Mobility, Cebu, Philippines; 09/2015
- Chikaraishi M.,Jana, A., Bardhan R., Varghese V;& Fujiwara, A. (2015); Revisiting travel time in Mumbai: the value of time saving or the value of access?, 52nd Conference on Infrastructure Planning and Management 2015; JSCE, 21 to 23 November, 2015, Japan.
- Chikaraishi, M.,Jana, A., Bardhan R., & Fujiwara, A. (2015); Time Use of Urban Poor and Rural Poor on Activity and Travel in Gujarat, India: Similarities and Differences, 11th EASTS Conference: Resilient and Inclusive Transportation Systems through Smarter Mobility, 11 to 14 September, 2015, Cebu , Philippines. (Link)
- Jana, A., Bardhan R., & Sarkar, S., (2015). Future Place making in Mumbai: Analyzing Mumbai Development plan 2034, Future of Places International conference – UNHabitat, Stockholm, Sweden, 29 June to 1 July 2015. (Link)
- Bardhan R., Kurisu, K., Hanaki,K.; (2015) Does compact urban forms relate to good quality of life in high density cities of India? Case of Kolkata, Cities, 48, pp 55-65, ISSN 0264-2751, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2015.06.005. (Link)
- Chikaraishi, M., Jana, A., Bardhan R., & Fujiwara, A. (2015). Urban-Rural Comparison of Time Use in India: Gender, Education, and Economic Affluence .Transportation Research Board (TRB) 94th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C, USA.(Link)
- Bardhan R., 2014. Urban quality of life in growing megacities – a case of Kolkata, India. International Symposium on MEGACITIES, November, 11 – 14, 2014, Kolkata, India.
- Bardhan R., 2013. Simulation of Land Use Consequences of Urban Corridor in Kolkata: An Integrated Spatial and Expert System Model, Environment and Urbanization Asia 4: 267-286, doi:10.1177/0975425313510767.
- Bardhan R., Kurisu, K. H., & Hanaki, K. , 2013. Relating urban form to objective quality of life using pattern recognition technique – a case study: megacity region of Kolkata, India. 2013 AAG Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, California.(Link)
- Bardhan R., 2013, Process of Incubation of Environmental Leader: Lessons learned from field research in Great Pearl River Delta, China, 2012. International Symposium on “Fostering Future Leaders for Sustainable Society, (http://www.k.u-tokyo.ac.jp/info/en/entry/31_entry35/); Tokyo, Japan, 9th January, 2013.
- Kyoungjin, A. Bardhan R., 2012 Response to sustainable urban water use and management: exploring field-oriented environmental education curricula for leadership development. IWA World Water Congress & Exhibition, Busan, Korea; 16th-21st September, 2012.
- Bardhan R., 2012 Assessment tool for Land Use consequences of Urban Corridors: An Investigation of Location, and Use Effect Case Study: 2nd Vivekananda Bridge & Belghoria Expressway, Kolkata, India. 10th Conference of Asian City Planning (10thACP), Tokyo; Japan, 23rd June, 2012.
- Bardhan R., Kurisu H, K.Hanaki K., 2011. Linking Urban Form & Quality of Life in Kolkata, 47th ISOCARP Congress Liveable cities – Urbanizing World: Meeting the Challenge, organized by ISOCARP and the People’s Government of Wuhan Municipality (UPSC), Wuhan (China), October 24, 2011, Congress CD-ROM Proceedings, ISBN: 978-94-90354-12-1; (Link)
- Bardhan R., Jana, A 2010 Incorporating The Concept of Zero Energy In The Newly Developed Satellite Towns of India – Case Study Rajarhat, Kolkata, India. India-Japan Symposium On Emerging Technologies, Tokyo;Japan, 7 October, 2010
- Chattapadhyay. S., Bardhan R., Jana A., 2006. Growth Dynamics Vs Sustainability – The Dichotomy of twin mining towns Joda & Barbil, XXXIV IAHS, World Congress on Housing Sustainable Housing Design Emphasizing Urban Housing. Naples, Italy 20-23 September 2006.
- Bardhan R., 2006, “An Urban Corridor in Transition: VISION 2020”, ITPI Newsletter (No. XXXIII), West Bengal Regional Chapter, Dec 2006.
Working papers and papers under review
- Bardhan R.(2016). Flood proneness in Megacity: A Rapid Planning Approach using Fuzzy logic under Data constraints.Area Development and Policy. (Under review)
- Bardhan R., Debnath R., (2016) Effect of occupants’ clothing on the energy performance of a classroom: A case study, SBE-II, IIT Roorkee. (Under review)
- Bardhan R., Debnath R., (2017) Building Energy Efficiency for Energy justice : A policy model for developing countries, Energy Research and Social Science, 5-7 April, 2017 Spain. (Under review)
Invited Talks and participation
- Bardhan, R., (2017) “Slum Habitat Design: An introduction to Mumbai’s Chawl / slums”, March 16, Department of Architecture, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- Bardhan, R., (2017) “Urban Form and Climate – Indian Case”, March 13, Sustainability & Data Sciences Laboratory (SDS Lab), Northeastern University, USA.
- Bardhan, R., (2017) “The 3P’s of Design: Is design a product, process or philosophy?” – Sustainable Urban Systems Seminar, January 26,Stanford University,USA.
- Bardhan, R., (2016) “De-coding SMARTness of Indian Cities”, Workshop on Smart Cities: Mobility and Infrastructure in the 21st Century, organised by IISER Pune in association with German House for Research and Innovation (DWIH) in New Delhi, Heidelberg Centre South Asia (HCSA), University of Goettingen, Indo-German Chamber of Commerce (IGCC) and University of Cologne, August 19 2016, IISER Pune, India. (Link)
- Bardhan, R., (2016) “Envisioning a Smart city: A People Centric Approach”, 10th National Frontiers of Engineering Symposium for Young Indian Engineers, 23 – 25 June 2016, IIT Kanpur, India.
- Bardhan, R., (2016) “Internet of everything and India’s SMART city vision :Towards Enablement”. Invited speaker at Internet of Things (IOT) & Smart City – Thematic Session III – Distributed and Embedded High Performance Computing. June 1-4, 2016. Mumbai, India
- Bardhan, R., (2016) 5th Regional Conference on Infrastructure Project Management, Invited Speaker at the “Sustainable and Green Building” session. May 27, 2016, Mumbai, India
- Bardhan, R., (2015) Geo-Informatics in Urban Planning, Invited talk at School of Planning and Architecture Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India. October 30, 2015
- Bardhan, R., (2015) Green Building : Principles & Concepts, Invited talk at Symposium on Green Building : Principles, Concepts and Case Studies, GH Patel College of Engineering & Technology, Gujarat, India. October 15, 2015
- Bardhan, R., (2015) Dissemination of Incentives for Green Building, Invited talk at Workshop on Green Buildings, New Kolkata Development Authority, Govt. of West Bengal,India, Kolkata. April 2, 2015 (Link)
- Bardhan, R., (2015) Why Mumbai had Slums. Invited talk at the Amsterdam-Mumbai Symposium on ‘Sustainable Urban Development: Practices, Problems, and Prospects’,at IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India on March 27, 2015.(Link)
- Bardhan, R., (2015) Social networks and psychological factors for pro-environmental behavior in urban waste management. Invited talk at 37th Taoyaka Program Seminar (the 285th IDEC Asia Seminar), Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation (IDEC), Hiroshima University,Japan on March 21, 2015(Link)
- Bardhan, R., (2015) Smart PEOPLE for smart cities -harnessing pro-environmental behavior in waste management. Invited talk at Roundtable and Workshop on Role of Universities in Building Healthy, Sustainable & Smart Cities, IIT Bombay, Mumbai, INDIA on January28 , 2015 (Link)
- Bardhan, R., (2014) Spillovers of Urbanization in India – A macro and micro temporal perspective Invited talk at IIT Kharagpur – Research Scholars’ Day, November, 17, 2014, Kharagpur, INDIA
- Bardhan, R., (2014) Issues in Pro-Environmental behavior – Industrial Waste Management. Invited talk at JACOBS Engineering (Oil & Gas sector), Mumbai, INDIA on August 27, 2014
- Bardhan, R., (2014) “Sustainable Use of Natural Resources on local, regional and global scale” – Workshop. Invited talk at Indian-Sino-Finnish Cleantech Roundtable was held in Helsinki, Finland on May 6th, 2014(Link)
News and Print Media
- Harnessing Pro-Environmental Behavior within Education Campus (Guest Lecture to NorthEastern University – Sustainability and Data Sciences (SDS) Lab)
- Data Driven city design for Climate Resilience (Property Now)
- 100 smart cities: Think tanks to converge for IIT-B initiative (The Economic Times, India Today, Construction World)
- Green Buildings for SMART cities (Link)
Grants and Awards
- BHAVAN Fellowship - 2016 :Building Energy Efficiency Higher & Advanced Network Program supported by the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, and the Indo-U.S. Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF)
- Japanese Government Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship-2010-2013, MEXT Japan and Ministry of Human Resource and Development, India
- Young Researcher Award-2012, Global Center of Excellence for Sustainable Urban Regeneration, The University of Tokyo, Japan.
- GCOE Research supporting funds for Young Researchers, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), Government of Japan
- V N Prasad Best Thesis Award – 2007, Institute of Town Planner, India
- Satyanath Halder Best Thesis Award – 2007, Institute of Town Planner : West Bengal Chapter, India
- University Medal (Gold) 2005, Bengal Engineering and Science University, India
- Bachelor of Architecture (Rank 1) 2005,Bengal Engineering and Science University, India
- Dhrubajyoti Sen Memorial Award, 2005 Bengal Engineering and Science University, India
- University Merit Scholarship, 2000-2005, Bengal Engineering and Science University, India
- Member, Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies
- Member, IEEE-GRSS
- Member, Council of Architecture, Government of India
- Associate, Institute of Town Planners, India
Editor and Reviewers
- Editorial Board Member - Urban Planning, Cogitatio Press
- Reviewer of Urban studies, SAGE
- Reviewer of Habitat International, Elsevier
- Reviewer of Cities, Elsevier
- Reviewer of Land Use Policy SAGE
- Young Planning Professional; The International Society of City and Regional Planners (ISOCARP), October, 2011
- Summer Certificate course in GIS and Remote Sensing; Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) Indian Space Research Organization, Dept. of Space, GOI. May, 2006 – July, 2006
|Course Code||Course Name||Instructor|
|US601||Urban Geomatics and Analytics||Prof. Ronita Bardhan|
|US604||Management Techniques for Urban Systems||Prof. Ronita Bardhan|
|US792||Communications Skills II|
Currently there are no opportunities in my projects