M.Tech./M.E. or equivalent degree in any branch of Engineering consistent with the research areas of the Centre, ORMaster’s degree in Architecture, Urban Planning or equivalent degree consistent with the research areas of the Centre
B.Tech./B.E. or equivalent degree in any branch of Engineering consistent with the research areas of the Centre, OR
Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Urban Planning, or related disciplines, ORM.Sc./MA or equivalent degree in Environmental Sciences, Energy Sciences, Geography, Social Sciences, Economics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or related disciplines.
For GN/EWS/OBC (NC) category,
(1) a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate, OR
(2) a First Class as specified by the University, OR
(3) a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) / Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of 6.0 on the scale of 0-10; OR
(4) an equivalent to 6.0 on other corresponding proportional requirements when the scales are other than 0-10.
For SC/ST/PwD category,
(1) a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate, OR
(2) a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) / Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of 5.5 on the scale of 0-10; OR
(3) an equivalent to 5.5 on other corresponding proportional requirements when the scales are other than 0-10.
For qualifying degree listed under Type 2, candidates must also fulfill ONE of the following additional requirements
(1) Valid GATE/CEED score in any subject
(2) elected through National Eligibility Test - UGC NET including lectureship (Assistant Professorship)
(3) Selected through a National level examination conducted by MHRD or its agencies/Institutions such as UGC/IIT/IISc/IISER/IIIT etc.
(4) Minimum two years of professional experience relevant to the research areas of the Centre (acquired after obtaining the qualifying degree and completed before the starting of the semester in which admission is sought)
Admissions Criteria:Criteria for awarding Teaching Assistantship (TA)/ Teaching Assistantship through Project(TAP)/ Research Assistantship (RA)/ Research Assistantship through Project (RAP)/ Fellowship Awardee (FA), etc. is as per the guidelines mentioned in the brochure. Date of Entrance Test and/or Interview (for all categories) : May 19th and 20th 2021*
*Applicants meeting the criteria will have to appear for an online take-home test on May 12, 2021.
Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.Kindly refer to the Admission details below for more information
For the confirmation of a candidate’s PhD registration, a two-stage qualifier examination is held.Stage-1: The “credit seminar” will form Stage-1. This should be completed before the end of the first semester of joining. The credit seminar should be oriented towards the formulation of the research proposal. It should include identification of the research topic and its importance, literature review and appraisal of the current state-of-the-art, gaps in the area and motivation of the proposed work. Stage 2: A “PhD Qualifier Examination” will form Stage-2 of the qualifier. This should be conducted before the end of the second semester of joining. This PhD Qualifier Examination will be an oral examination conducted for evaluation of the candidate’s aptitude towards carrying out the proposed research work. The knowledge of the candidate in the basic subject areas of the proposed research will be tested by the examiners in the PhD Qualifier Examination. Courses
The courses offered by CUSE are as follows.
|Course Code||Course Name||Semester (Spring/Autumn)||Instructor|
|US201||Introduction to Urban Science & Engineering||Spring/Autumn|
|US202||Introduction to Urban Environmental Infrastructure||Spring/Autumn|
|US601||Urban Geomatics and Analytics||Spring|
|US602||Fundamentals of Urban Science and Engineering||Autumn||Prof. Arnab Jana|
|US603||Research Methods in Urban Science||Spring||Prof. Arnab Jana|
|US604||Management Techniques for Urban Systems||Autumn||Prof. Ronita Bardhan|
|US605||Introduction to Building: Functional Design and Science||Spring||Prof. Ronita Bardhan|
|US606||Urban Environmental Infrastructure||Spring||Prof. Pradip Kalbar|
|US607||Sustainability Assessment of Urban Systems||Autumn||Prof. Pradip Kalbar|
|US608||Green Building Design||Spring/Autumn|
|US609||Introduction to Urban Design||Spring/Autumn|
|US610||Design for Sustainable Development & Urbanization||Spring/Autumn||Prof. Pradipta Banerji / Prof. Amita Sharma|
|US611||Urban Design and Engineering Lab||Spring/Autumn|
|US612||Urban Design and Engineering Studio||Spring/Autumn|
|US613||Urban Planning in India: Theory, Challenges and Approaches||Spring/Autumn||Prof. Pradip Kalbar/ Prof. Malini Krishnankutty|
|US792||Communications Skills II||Autumn||Prof. Pradip Kalbar|